Connect with us
Natchitoches is the oldest permanent French settlement in Louisiana. With so much history and culture, we have grown into a richly developed city with an infrastructure that has been improved throughout the years with a strong plan for the future.
Over the past ten years, the city of Natchitoches has made great strides in implementing new reforms to the current infrastructure. Through transportation, government, business and amenities, Natchitoches has made a number of improvements, including the following:
- Re-dedication of sewer tax to continue planned expansions and help fund local sports complex, with some road dedications
- Implemented TIF overlay for hotels/motels to fund general economic infrastructure support
With so many successful projects completed, why stop there? We are also currently working on the following programs to enhance Natchitoches:
In order to keep Natchitoches on track for future growth, planning has begun among governing entities. Through city leadership, in partnership with Parish officials and business leaders with the Chamber and NCA, the following are being developed:
- Waterwell Road (LA Highway 478) continued expansion as a retail and service hub at Interstate 49 with mixed large-lot residential moving eastward towards an industrial park on LA Highway 1.
- Mega Sites are being explored
- Service roads are being planned to accomodate growing demand
- Leaders are meeting regularly on long-range planning of critical services in light of expanded economic activity
Natchitoches is conveniently located between Shreveport and Alexandria, allowing for excellent transportation and economic opportunities. With several state highways, railways, waterways and airports, Natchitoches holds a strategically developed transportation network.
Major Interstates – Interstate 49
Major Highways – US 71, US 84, LA 1, LA 6, LA 9, LA 117, LA126, LA 153, LA 156, LA1226
- Red River Port – 27.4 miles
- Port of Shreveport-Bossier – 58.1 miles
- Port of Natchitoches – 4.7 miles
- Greater Ouachita Port – 92.7 miles
Class 1 Railroads
- Kansas City Railroad (KCS)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- Natchitoches Regional Airport – 1.8 miles
- Shreveport Regional Airport – 78.1 miles
To view our regional maps, click the button below.